May 26, 2008

Sock it to me!

I HATE to date myself but I do remember Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in (I just don't recall which channel it was on). A lot of celebrities dropped by on that show, Cher, Ringo Starr, Martin Landau, Sammy Davis Jr., etc. and everyone just seemed to be having an irreverent good time. There were dancing girls, sexual double entendres, and jokes that may probably be considered politically incorrect these days. But they were all funny and entertaining then.

Laugh-In was the forerunner of many American comedy sketch shows like Saturday Night Live (its creator Lorne Michaels was actually a writer on that show) and launched the careers of a number of bright comediennes like Ruth Buzzi, Goldie Hawn, and Lily Tomlin.

In memory of Dick Martin, who just passed away Saturday, here are a couple of clips from their show which ran from 1968-1973. See if you can spot the other celebrities and comics who are still very much around, performing, up to this day.



No comments: