August 25, 2008

Sinong best friend mo doon?


Something Like Life
Aug. 23, 2008


I STILL remember that sweet TV commercial of a popular ice-cream brand featuring two tykes, one of them asking this question of his friend who was about to leave for the US. His best friend, of course, assures him that they will still be best friends despite the distance; then they share an ice-cream cup (or was it a cone?) afterward.

I recall this poignant TV ad today, as I write my column, after being told that the best friend of my friend Señor, who recently passed away, had also bid this earthly world of ours goodbye. It was such a shock finding this out today because the last time I “spoke” with the Don was after coming home from Señor’s wake. I texted the Don to tell him I missed seeing him at the wake, and also to send my condolences because I knew how close he was to Señor. I was pretty sure he was torn up, as well, with his best friend’s passing.

The Don texted back and thanked me for my concern, telling me the reason for his absence—he was ill. I told him that when he gets better, I was looking forward to seeing him again to toast the good times we had with Señor.

That the Don also passed away from the same illness that Señor had, and just a month apart, was more than a coincidence, as far as I’m concerned. They were such good buddies; some say they were more like brothers than with their own siblings, so perhaps it shouldn’t be a surprise that the other just followed wherever his best friend was going. (Click here for the rest.)

No comments: