So please people, if you are living in low-lying areas, get out and evacuate to a higher elevation. Typhoon Pepeng (Parma) is upon us, and you can't risk your life and that of your family's just bec. you want to protect your house and possessions. Family comes first, above all. Don't be embarassed to ask help from friends and relatives. We've been witnessing the resurgence of the bayanihan spirit and I'm pretty sure, many people will take you in while Pepeng dumps its rains on Northern Luzon.
Pls. make sure you have an emergency kit w/ flashlights, batteries, transistor or hand-cranked radio, canned goods, blankets, and a change of clothing and underwear, plus your important documents (Land titles, bank books, etc.) and papers w/ you. By now, you should've already charged your cellphones and just keep communications to simple texts so as not to load the cellphone infrastructure.
Keep paying attention to the news so you will get accurate information about the typhoon and flooding situation. ABS-CBN/ANC, DZMM, and GMA TV/DZBB The recent text messages on Pepeng, have been, more or less, disinforming the public. (NO, MERALCO WILL NOT SHUT DOWN ITS POWER at 9 PM TONIGHT UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.) Also, here are useful links about the typhoon: PAG-ASA, Typhoon 2000, and the Japan Meteorological Agency.
Here's a sample of an emergency kit checklist from Ready America, w/c I think is useful for all of us to have. (This being the Philippines, I personally would add a couple of wet suits, flippers, and a rubber dinghy.)
Here's also a list of important contacts during emergencies and disasters as compiled by the Onday Google web page creators:
- Rescue Operations
- National Disaster Coordinating Council (NDCC) (+632-9125668, +632-9111406, +632-9115061, +632-9122665) Help hotlines: (+65 734-2118, 734-2120)
- Philippine Coast Guard (+632-5276136)
- Air Force (+63908-1126976, +632-8535023)
- Metro Manila Development Authority (136)
- Marikina City Rescue (+632-6462436, +632-6462423, +632920-9072902)
- Pasig Rescue Emergency Number (+632-6310099)
- Quezon City Rescue (161)
- San Juan City Hall Command Post (+632-4681697)
- Bureau of Fire Protection Region III (Central Luzon) Hotline: (+63245-9634376)
- Senator Dick Gordon (+639178997898, +63938-444BOYS, +632-9342118, +632-4338528)
- Senator Manny Villar (+639174226800. +639172414864, +639276751981)
- Civil Society/ Media
- Philippine National Red Cross (143, +632-5270000)
- Philippine National Red Cross Rizal Chapter operations center hotline: (+632-6350922, +632-6347824)
- Go to GMA Facebook page & post complete addresses and names of people in need of immediate help.
- ABS-CBN Typhoon Ondoy Hotline: (+632-4163641)
- Jam 88.3: (+632- 6318803) or SMS at JAM (space) 883 (space) your message to 2968