September 15, 2008

Peace through the Global Mala Project

I am a serious yoga....backslider (hehe). I try to practice at least twice a week, but you know how it is, the work just keeps piling up. And I miss my teachers like Liz Dyogi, Mo-ching Yip, Prakash Bisht...who either have classes that are too early for my consciousness (like Liz), or far away (as in the case of Mo), or who have moved, like Prakash.

These days, the yoga class I usually attend because it's schedule-friendly for me is a 1 PM Friday gentle flow yoga class at a gym nearby. The teacher is okay; it's just that the class can be annoying because some members just can't remember to switch off their cellphones...hay. So if you can imagine relaxing in your savasana (corpse pose, lying on your back) and winding down after an hour's challenging poses, then a cellphone rings, breaking your peace and meditative state! Waaah! But I think I'm better now at doing a chaturanga (it's like a men's push-up) than a year ago...so I suppose the once-a-week class works kahit paano.


Anyway, I got this interesting announcement from the mail. Sounds cool. I think I may join it.

According to the project web site, "the purpose of the Global Mala is to unite the global yoga community from every continent, school or approach to form a 'mala around the earth' through collective practices based upon the sacred cycle of 108 on Sept. 21st and 22nd, Fall Equinox as the yoga world's offering to further the UN International Peace Day." A "mala" is sacred prayer beads used in India and Tibet as "meditative guides."

One of the featured yoga instructors on Saturday is Linda Naulty (see schedule below) whom I met in Boracay before. We were classmates at Mandala Spa's three-day yoga retreat w/c Mo-ching taught. Of course Linda was so many lifetimes ahead of the rest of us losers in that class hehe. But what is interesting also about Linda is she does reiki healing, and I had a very short test session w/ her then. But I swear it got rid of a lot of negative vibes I had about certain people.

Anyhoo, to know more about the Global Mala Project, click here

GLOBAL MALA PROJECT
SATURDAY/ SEPT 20, 2008
9AM-9PM
@ PULSE YOGA MAKATI

2289 UPRC III Building, Pasong Tamo Ext., Makati (next to chrysler showroom, follow the driveway to the back of the building) tel: 0917-84-PULSE (78573) ---please RSVP to reserve space.

SUGGESTED DONATION FEE: PHP 1,000 ( whole day admission)

Day Flow:

9:00am Opening Ceremony/ Welcome greetings

9:30am-10:30am 108 Rounds of Gayatri Mantra

10:00am-12:00nn 108 Rounds of Namaskars

12-1 pm L U N C H

*there will be simultaneous sessions going on all afternoon

1:15pm-2:00pm Lecture: Beyond the Seven Chakras with Jeannie Javelosa (Yoga Manila)

2:00pm-3:30pm Drumming Workshop with Inky de Dios (Bateria Brigada)

2:30pm-3:30pm Gentle Yoga with Linda Naulty (Yoga Manila)

3:30pm-4:30pm Inner dance workshop with Lisette (Inner Dance Manila)

4:00pm-5:00pm Intro to Ashtanga with Tessa Celdran (Pulse Yoga)

4:30pm- 5:30pm Bikram Yoga with Pye Trinidad

5:00pm-6:00pm Kirtan with Punnu & Sing India ( Punnu, CJ Vasu & Babaji)

6pm-7pm D I N N E R

7:30PM-8:30pm Yoga Trance Dance with Teresa Herrera

8:30pm-9:00pm CLOSING CEREMONY

Namaste.

No comments: